Thursday, June 14, 2007

SHAKESPEARE: IN QUESTION

Since my death in 1616, many have questioned my sexuality, religion and even whether I was actually the writer of some of my works. Preposterous!
The mysterious Fair Lord
Even though I was married to Anne Hathaway for over thirty years, a series of sonnets addressed to a mysterious "Fair Lord" raised suspicions that I might be bisexual. Some people claim they are simply poems of a deep friendship, while C.S. Lewis spoke for many when he argued that they were "too lover-like for ordinary male friendship".


While I was alive, Catholic practices were illegal. Both my parents were Catholic and my daughter Susanna was believed to be as well. My religious status, however, remains uncertain. It was likely that I, too, was Catholic though people have suggested I might have been atheist, as was the fashion among Elizabethan cultural society.

In the late 18th century, suspicions were raised as to whether or not I was actually the author of a number of plays attributed to me. A number of playwrights have been proposed as the possible actual authors including:
-Francis Bacon
-Christopher Marlowe
-Edward de Vere
These claims are generally dismissed, though it is believed possible that I collaborated with other authors on some of my plays, a common practice at the time.

These "conspiracy theories" are not surprising for a man of my stature though it's unlikely that they have much credibility.

No comments: