Thursday, June 14, 2007

SHAKESPEARE: CHILDHOOD AND EDUCATION

A scene from an Elizabethan schoolhouse

My parents were illiterate, which is ironic because I later became known as a genius with language. My father was the alderman, which entitled me to a free education. In my days, children aged five to seven went to what was called "Petty School", run by a local housewife. There, we would learn reading and writing, as well as basic manners and how to be a "good Christian". An interesting sidenote: The alphabet in my times was a bit different: it had 24 letters instead of a modern 26. This is because the letters "v" and "u" were the same, as well as the letters "i" and "j". Each had simply different uses.

Schools in my day were quite strict. In the summer, I would go to school from six o'clock in the morning to five o'clock at night! There was a two hour break during the day, though.

I was withdrawn from school at the age of fourteen, which is the common age for boys to leave school. I was needed at home, however, so I didn't continue on to university, as many of my classmates did.

I had bigger and better things in store...

No comments: